Saturday, October 16, 2010

"It's great to be back here at Macy's"

I had a rough week.

Then yesterday, I walked in to Macy's with Mrs. Green Thumb and the oldest ping pong ball. Music was blasting. At first, it seemed that the system that piped the music into the store was broken, because IT WAS BLASTING. The song that was playing was Elvis Presley singing "Can't Help Falling In Love With You." My oldest turned to me and asked, "Can you do something about this?"

I had to think for a second. Was there a reason why she thought I worked at Macy's?
No, she was expressing her displeasure, and I was in the line of fire.

With no ability to stop or even lower the music, I did the only thing in my power. I started to sing along. That's when I heard Mrs. Green Thumb say, "Someone is singing over there."

My heartbeat quickened as I worked my way through the ladies casual section toward what could only be an...

Elvis Impersonator...
Elvis Evoker....
Elvis!

The King was in between Handbags and Juniors. He was wearing a powder blue jumpsuit, his belt riddled with rhinestones. I made my way directly in front of a speaker, my favorite place at any concert. He introduced his next number, "My Way," as a song that both Frank Sinatra and Elvis had recorded. I loved the fact that he spoke about himself in the third person.



He sang "Jailhouse Rock" and customers and Macy's employees alike danced. As Elvis sang, I thought about all the speculation about his life and death. I considered how thin he had gotten. He looked more like Screech from "Saved by the Bell" with a pompadour. And then Elvis spoke again, and he gave us the long awaited answer.

"It's great to be back here at Macy's"

He hadn't died, he hadn't been abducted by aliens; we had been looking for him in Vegas, in Graceland, in every kitchen in the land. But all this time, he had been at Macy's, and he liked it there.

When he finished and was available for pictures, I went to find my loved ones. I was reenergized. No longer did I feel like a Hound Dog. The King, he revived me.

Later in the afternoon, I thought about something I had known since I was very young: music is magical.

Thanks Macy's. Thanks Elvis.

1 comment:

dragon lady said...

I have'nt been in Macy;s in years Amazing information on the shopping experience. I wonder if they will have Bobbt Darien soon oe perhaps, Richie Valens. Keep us posted