Saturday, June 21, 2008

Does This Make Cents?

I pulled up to the standard convenience store that resides in the section of a gas station that once was occupied by service bays, lube racks and mechanics. While collecting my wallet and cellphone, a gentleman walked over to the car next to mine and dropped something. Not accidentally, deliberately dropped something. He got in his car and pulled out.

Littering drives me crazy, and I was already steaming as I got out of my car to see what this "bum" had been unable to put in either of the garbage cans flanking the door he had just gone through. Not being easy to shock, I was still not prepared when I looked down and saw that the "trash" he had dropped was 4 pennies. I picked them up and before getting my coffee, walked over and put them on the counter. "This guy just dropped them outside."

Not being easy to shock, I was still not prepared for what came from the man working the register. "Happens everyday."

"What do you mean?" He drops change everyday?"

"Not just him, a lot of people. No one wants pennies. We sweep up almost a dollar every two days."
I got my coffee and left, shaking my head.

Over the next two weeks stopping at convenience stores and gas stations for my other fuel (caffeine), I collected 43 cents from the parking lots outside theses stores, all in pennies. I went into a store in my neighborhood and put the money in a collection can for the National Breast Cancer Foundation.

I told this story to my best friend over ham and eggs one morning and I asked in my inimitable, incredulous manner: "Who would just drop money, no matter its value?"

Not being easy to shock, I was still not prepared when my best friend for almost 30 years said "Me, I've done it. I did it yesterday."

Before our breakfast ended, I came up with a plan and need some help. I am not blind to the relatively useless buying power of the penny. Still, the one thing I've learned watching all those shows that detail our 5,000 year growth as a people (as well any number of Animal Planet marathons), there is strength in numbers. I would like to start a penny recycling program. If, for whatever reason, people are against pennies in their car or pocket.




Picture a collection container with four receptacles, each for a different charity. Mine would include those closest to my heart: National Breast Cancer Foundation, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, World Wildlife Fund, The American Red Cross. The exact charities are not the important thing. They could be charities in the store's local community. It is the giving that is key. That is the true meaning of recycling: the taking of one person's "garbage" and transforming it into a resource for someone else. All done without creating waste.


This is money that people consider worthless, but it adds up. I would rather it add up in a philanthropic way then on the streets.



Here are some of the positives.





  1. It helps the environment. Less mining of materials to make pennies.

  2. It helps our governments budget. Less money to mint the pennies that are falling out of circulation and that cost more than a penny to make.

  3. It helps these charities who normally have to spend donated money to raise more money.

  4. It helps all those people who have a phobe of pennies in their pockets and their cars.

  5. It helps any company that will agree to having a recycling center in the business. Through charitible tax deductions.
I know many stores have donation cans, but I believe it needs to be a national movement to make people aware of the change their change can make.




From where I sit the only people that this idea hurts are the store clerks with their brooms picking up some extra pocket change.




I really want to work on this. Any comments suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Right now people are throwing money away, on purpose. Right now other people need that money.



BLOG NOTE:


I wrote and deleted an entire history of the penny. Not being easily shocked, I was still not prepared when I decided this idea was too important for one of my Historical flume rides. But I promised myself I will publish it eventually.. So get ready or beware of a future blog on this topic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have never thrown a penny away. I've never heard of people doing that until your post...I am a little shocked.

But do you think a person who would throw away a penny would actually take the time to put it in collection box. You would probably get pennies from people who would contribute to worthy causes anyway.

The idea make cents.

Q