Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hello

Hello.

Since the advent of Caller ID, I have stopped saying "hello" when I answer the phone. That is if I know the caller. Depending on who is phoning I will do one of the following:

1. Continue a previous conversation in mid-sentence.
2. Attempt a foreign accent.
3. Say something stupid.

If the caller is not a familiar name, I will switch to the neutral "Yes," much in the manner of Lurch from the Addams Family

While my level of maturity has never been high, Caller ID has somehow helped my already low standards sink further into the abyss of idiocy.

On outgoing calls, I have always stuck with my main stay. Since I know who I’m calling and I remember every conversation I’ve ever had, I just:

Continue a previous conversation in mid-sentence.

Why I do this is hard to say. Maybe I think it's funny.

But after answering the phone like an idiot tonight and finding a frantic friend on the other end, I have decided to try "Hello" for a while.

There is a scene in the movie Say Anything, where Jason Gould, whose appearance is over the top, sees himself in the mirror. He is shocked. That is sort of how I feel tonight.

I will report back as to how this change is received.


No comments: