Friday, July 25, 2008

"Please, make this nation remember how futures are built."

On July 16, 1984, I watched Mario Cuomo give the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention in San Francisco. His speech, which I believe is one of the best I’ve ever heard, made two things clear. The first was the there was no way Walter Mondale could win. Mondale, a fine public servant, had none of the fire or oratory that Cuomo had just used to electrify the Convention Center. The second was, "Is this all that is left of the convention process: the prospect of great speeches?"

In a system where candidates run for President for three years, while still “working" for their constituents back home. The primary system has morphed in to a hideous leviathan and the political parties are content to have the process settled in advance. This leaves us to watch toothless conventions, infomercials for a product we need, but may not want.

Now with that said, I always watch and will always watch…usually on C-SPAN, to avoid commentary. But this year I am not looking forward to this process at all.

Not looking forward to the speeches meant to rally the troops...a catch phrase appearing…the crowd picking up on it and chanting as they wave placards bearing the catch phrase. How can they be rallied when they know in advance what they are going to hear?

It is July 25. The Democrats start on August 25, followed a week later by the Republicans. I am hoping against hope for some hint of rhetoric or glimmer of inspiration.

Please. I don’t care which party it is, so long as I hear something that makes me say “Yes.”

It has been too many years since I said yes.

No comments: