Friday, July 18, 2008

It's A Morale Builder, Isn't It?

Jeanine: Oh, no! I told them once, I told them a hundred times, put "Spinal Tap" first and "Puppet Show" last.

Derek: It's a morale builder, isn't it?

Jeanine: We've got a big dressing room, though.

David: What?

Jeanine: Got a big dressing room here...

David: Oh, we've got a bigger dressing room than the puppets? Oh, that's refreshing..

Let me start at the end. The line up for Wingstock 2008 is as follows.

Mini Kiss will open...
...followed by Kansas...
...and then the headliner: Peter Frampton.

Now I want to go back twenty-four hours before this line up was finalized, when I found the above ad in free paper in central Jersey. And my head started hurting.

No offense to Kansas, but I was less shocked by seeing them in the third slot than I was by seeing Peter Wolf in the second. Not that he should be headlining, but warm up for a band to be named later. That has got to be rock-and-roll hell. As both a solo artist and front man for The J. Geils Band, Wolf has had his share of hits. As a club DJ in the early '80s, I can tell you he was hot. I hated him, couldn't stand J. Geils. But my opinion is just that, mine.

How do Mr. Wolf or his handlers agree to take the number two spot at a concert without knowing who was number one?

This question will now rise to the top of unresolved rock questions in my mind. It surpassed the following:

Has Keith Moon really been dead for 30 years?
What happened between Bruce Springsteen and Julianne Phillips?
Why did Paul Weller break up The Jam?
How is it possible that Keith Richards is still alive?

For twenty-four hours this had me crazy. I was deperate to say to Mr. Wolf, “Danger, Will Robinson, Danger.”

Then the miracle. Peter Frampton was announced. Mr. Wolf was gone, Kansas had moved up and somehow, someway Wingstock was able to get Mini Kiss. What luck that they were free!

So now the question in my mind had changed. Why had Peter Wolf dropped out? Was Frampton too big for him? Was he hoping he was going to move into the number one spot? What was he thinking? He hasn’t had a hit in years! He should have been thrilled with the gig. My head was hurting again.

And I thought about how none of this really mattered since I would not be attending Wingstock.

But if anyone can contact Mr. Wolf, I would sleep easier.

As for "the ad," it takes alot of spunk to print that.
And to quote Lou Grant, "I hate spunk!"

No comments: